After a trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in 2014, together with Twin, Mozzo found a start-up cooperative in DRC called Muungano (meaning togetherness in Swahili.) In one of the poorest countries in Africa, and without so much as an office or computer to their name at the time, Muungano had one thing up their sleeve... sensational coffee!
Using this coffee across our range of blends including Black Label Espresso; Black Label Filter; Red Label Filter; Green Label Espresso & Mozzo Origin Coffees, since 2018 Mozzo purchase a container (320 x 60 kg bags) of Muungano Coffee a year.As well as buying their coffee we work with Muungano, through our social enterprise partner Twin, to help enable sustainable infrastructure and quality improvements to the cooperative via the C2C Fund™.
To date, Mozzo has invested £50,653.72* into the Fund (since its formation in 2015) and this has helped enable the following improvements for Muungano...
- Built an office & cupping lab to train cupping skills and ensure quality control.
- Construction of 50 new drying tables.
- The rehabilitation of the Nyabirehe & Buchiro washing stations following flooding.
- Supported salaries of 6 field officers training farmers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- Established internet connection via satellite for the office.
- Helped to supply new equipment for the cupping lab.
- Construction of a 4th washing station, at Nyangoma. Including 15 new drying tables, 2 hand pulpers & building materials of fermentation tanks.
*Figure of June 2019
As the Fund grows and subsequent progression at Muungano is made we will be sure to bring you the latest updates so check back soon!