After a trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in 2014, together with Twin, Mozzo found a start-up cooperative in DRC called Muungano (meaning togetherness in Swahili.) In one of the poorest countries in Africa, and without so much as an office or computer to their name at the time, Muungano had one thing up their sleeve... sensational coffee!
Mozzo founder Grant Lang visited Muungano again in February this year to see for himself the impact the C2C Fund™ is delivering to the remarkable cooperative and the lives of its farmers. Alongside purchasing their sensational coffee, Mozzo has invested £43,011.36 into the Fund (since its formation in 2015) and this has helped enable the following sustainable infrastructure and quality improvements for Muungano…
- Built an office with three rooms and a cupping lab to train staff & farmers on cupping skills & to ensure quality control.
- Supported paying the salaries of 6 field officers who have been working directly with the farmers to foster the adoption of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- Helped Muungano undertake the rehabilitation of the Nyabirehe and Buchiro washing stations following damaging flooding.
- Contributed to the purchase of new equipment for the cupping lab as well as new drying tables.
- Establish internet connection via satellite for the office.
As the Fund grows and subsequent progression at Muungano is made we will be sure to bring you the latest updates so check back soon!